Friday, 6 May 2011

More about trees

My mum emailed me this description of a tree....

"An old man, Wilf Drews (1909-2011)  died recently.  He  began a tree planting crusade around the collieries in the Hunter and in the 1950s he placed a plaque on a tree:
                        
 "A TREE.
Ye who would pass by and raise your hand against me harken ere you harm me. I am the heat of your hearth on cold winters nights, the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun and my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst as you journey on. I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table, the bed on which you lie and the timber which builds your boat. I am the handle of your hoe, the door of your home, the wood of your cradle and the shell of your coffin. I am the bread of kindness and the flower of beauty. Ye who pass listen to my prayer,   HARM ME NOT I AM A TREE."

Wilf was a miner who left school at 14, after  45 years in the mines he became Australia's first colleriery gardener, an early conservationist and initiated a commemorative tree and plaque program for retiring employees....he sounds a very nice man....his obituary was in SMH 4/5/2011 page 20."


This is one of the amazing Root Bridges of Cherrapunji in north east India. It is made from the roots of the ficus elastica tree.   Trisso and I saw them on a nature show the other night. I wish I knew about them when I was in india - they look amazing.


This one is called the dancing tree.



A tunnel tree



What a cool bed!

This could go on for ever there are so many wonderful trees!

Last one, a knitted tree. That is a bit funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment