Thursday, 21 April 2011

Journals

Have you ever kept a journal? I do and I have, on and off since I was a kid.  I love them - they help me remember my life.  I have embarrassing teenage ones that I have felt like throwing away, very detailed ones from  overseas trips and others full of bits and pieces of my life - lyrics to songs I love, poems, quotes from books, adventures, inspirations, soul searching, contemplations of the meaning of life etc  Unfortunately since becoming a mum my journal keeping has been sporadic and certainly not detailed.  Seven years and three children have rushed by and I have not managed to keep much of a record of their childhood.  Whilst in the thick of it I feel I will never forget......but i know I will.

Anyway I recently (yesterday)  got a new book Drawing From Life - The Journal As Art by Jennifer New.  The author mentioned the three journals she now keeps - a work related one, another for recording her children's everyday activities and the third is digital  where she takes a daily photo of their domestic life. After reading this today I was inspired to embark on a similar project.  Mine is called fivephotos and every week I am going to take/choose five photos to depict our life that week.  It is too difficult to go backwards in time to capture past moments, instead I will start from now.  Lets see how long I can keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment