Friday, 18 March 2011

Dill Gherkins


This summer I have been making lots of gherkins. Some were delicious, some too salty, some went cloudy, some were too mustardy. There are so many different recipes and procedures. Anyway I tried several and I think this is what I'll do next time (this is a cross between 2 recipes).
     1 kg gherkins
     salt
     several cloves of garlic
     bunch of fresh dill
     2 tsp coriander seeds
     1 tsp mustard seeds
     1/2 cup white vinegar
     2 cups water
1.  Soak gherkins in iced water for 1-2 hours.
2.  Layer and salt very generously the gherkins  in a bowl  and leave for 4 hours.  Rinse thoroughly.
3.  Put vinegar and water together in saucepan and bring to boil.
4.  Slice the garlic and add to vinegar solution.  Add the dill and seeds and simmer 5 mins.
5.  Pack gherkins in sterilized jars add a sprig of extra dill to each.
6.  Pour hot vinegar into jars making sure gherkins are completely covered.  Put on lids.
7.  Seal and process - boil jar upright in a pan of water for 30 mins.





1 comment:

  1. They look great kate! I am going to pinch your recipe and pickle some myself (I will just pop down the shops for some gherkin seeds first-what was the name of that seed company you order from?).
    I have a good recipe for pickling green tomatoes if you ever feel the urge, from a book by a fellow used to be on SBS, called Vasilli's Garden(?), they are yum with a slab of stinky cheese and some Knackebrod.

    ReplyDelete